To Neil and Robin, With Love

Dear Neil and Robin,
I’ve met a bunch of people in my life. Some have become just a memory and others have continued to be a distinct presence in my life. We all know that not everyone is meant to be with you forever. Some people will be used as a lesson, others as a comfort, and even more are just filler bodies meant for only a conversation or small interaction. There are certain people you meet that will completely change your life, the thing that’s exceptional about life is the moment you lay eyes on that person or, that group of people you have no idea of the importance. It’s presented itself as a regular occurrence and yet it means so much more. Most of the people that I cherish in life were not thrust upon me with a flourish, it was more like nudge, they gradually inched their way into an important place in my heart. You guys are exceptional people and in this letter I’m going to tell you why.
 You’ve experienced tremendous loss in the last 10 months. The loss of your daughter, the loss of my best friend, Emaleigh’s passing is a tragedy that many people are still trying to overcome; if I’m being honest with myself it’s something none of us will ever overcome fully.
Emaleigh, she was beautiful in so many ways. Her laughter was infectious, her stubbornness was infuriating, and her determination was admirable. Emaleigh is and always will be a very influential person in my life. She is loved and remembered by so many, whether it be her best friends, her family, or even the people she only interacted with once or twice, she left a mark here after only 18 years and that is truly an accomplishment.
Emaleigh was an amazing person but she didn’t get that way on her own. Robin and Neil I want you to know that you are the reason she lit up so many people’s lives. You’re the reason she tried so hard in everything she did, you guys taught her determination and perseverance, you taught her to love with everything she had. I see parts of her in both of you.
Neil your stubbornness and sly humor were her, Robin your vivaciousness and laughter, that was her too. I hope you already know this but she looked up to you guys so much, I could see it. Every time she told me stories about you guys it was in her eyes how much she loved you both.
I don’t think any of us will ever be able to wrap our heads around why we lost her and maybe we’re not supposed to, because the truth is something that can be unbearable to know.  The truth I’m willing to hold on to is that my best friend left behind so many people that loved her, she left behind a legacy, she tried all of the things she set out to try and then some. Emaleigh Dawn Rivell is and always will be a huge part of my life and there is no one else I can thank for her existence but you.
I admire the strength you both have, mainly because sometimes I feel like I have none left. Emaleigh has left a hole both in my life and in my heart. I still cry for her, I still look for her, and I still miss her. But when I visit all of that goes away, I can remember Emaleigh without all the sadness, without anger, no emotion is present except love. Love for the person she was, love for the memories she left.
This letter has an open ending because there is no end to the amount of gratitude I have for the both of you. Even in your greatest time of need you have been there for every single one of us in more ways then we can possibly ever repay. In meeting your daughter I not only gained a friend but I also gained a second set of parents, all of us did. Thank you Neil and Robin from the bottom of my heart for bringing your beautiful baby girl into this world. Thank you for sharing her.  Thank you for allowing her to brighten this dark world even just a little bit.
            Much love,
                       -Leah Q.



This is an epilogue of sorts for the rest of my readers, just a little food for thought. From all of this I would just ask you to take a moment and think about all of the things you did this year, all the people you met, and all the events that took place. Remember to never take any of that for granted life, however cliché it may sound is short, don’t waste it on normalcy. The one thing I like to think I’ve taken from this horrible experience is an altered sense of what is important. The things I used to put above everything else are no longer relevant. Keep people in your life that mean something to you and goals that will get you to the place you want to be and from that you will truly find happiness. Happy Holidays!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diamonds Are a Girl's Most Sparkliest Best Friend

Sometimes People Make Me Wonder

The (Unfinished) Story of Us