Perfection is in the Eye of the Beholder

Perfection, it’s this unattainable goal we all strive for. To be perfect is to be without fault or, is it? We are told what we should do but are we really learning what life is really about when everything goes perfectly?
            As a woman I am told time and time again the traits I must have in order to get a man, to keep a man, to keep him happy but, what about keeping myself happy? You’ve got to have a nice rack and great hair but make sure it’s not too perfect because otherwise you’ll just be portrayed as a bimbo. A woman can’t be beautiful and smart, a woman can’t be fat and beautiful, beauty is paired with nothing. It is a trait that stands on its own making all other redeemable qualities pale in comparison. Face value is all we ever take people at but in actuality individuals are the epitome of complexity, of depth. Every decision we make is backed by experience and emotion but no one ever tries to understand the why.
            Why is that I know I am beautiful and worthy of love yet I crave another’s assurance of the fact that I already know to be true. When does humble bridge the gap of insecurity? When does confidence not translate to ego? There is no definite line just a never-ending amount of blur. It is hard enough to define oneself in this day and age without factoring in the opinion of others. It is hard enough to take an explanation at face value without reading into alternative meanings or giving into to feelings of inadequacy.
When will the dating game become truth and truth alone, when will beauty become a multi-faceted definition, when will society deem morality a trait worthy of spirituality and not just religion? The answer is not when will society change but when will I stop allowing that to be my reality. When will I put my foot down and say, “hey I have feelings for you, let’s not date other people,” when will I say “I’m beautiful and I’m over 200 pounds,” when will I say “I’m a really shitty Christian but I’m still a good person.” The answer to this question is up to no one but myself.

Perfection, I will never attain it because everyone’s idea of perfection is different, the only goals I should be striving for are the ones I’ve set for myself. It is only then that I will achieve the sense of peace that I’ve been looking for so long. The bright side of this is I can see it getting closer everyday, awareness is half the battle my friends and my battle is almost won.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diamonds Are a Girl's Most Sparkliest Best Friend

Sometimes People Make Me Wonder

The (Unfinished) Story of Us